At Birchfield we have designed our own School’s curriculum, which is fully compliant with the 2014 National Curriculum and its subsequent assessment documentation.
We have also interwoven elements of our local school curriculum, in order to best meet the specific needs of our children.
We strongly believe in fitting our curriculum to the children we teach – rather than the other way round. We seek to ensure that our children encounter a rich and challenging learning experience through the breadth, flexibility and creativity of the curriculum that we provide, which sets out to promote the interest and engagement of both learners and teachers.
We have a creative curriculum, which means that we link learning and skills from across all the subject areas into exciting topics which can be tailored by teachers to match their interests and the needs of the children in their class. Using this approach we are able to make learning relevant, interesting and fun.
We enhance the children's curriculum through visits and visitors, alongside whole school focus days and trips. We believe in promoting the values of Britain and the multicultural and inclusive society in which we live.
We seek the highest standards of attainment for all our children. All children should have access to our curriculum, tailored to their individual needs. We aim to reduce, and where possible, eliminate barriers to accessing the curriculum.
Our aim at Birchfield is that children leave our school competent, confident readers, writers and mathematicians with the skills they need to be successful, lifelong learners and positive members of society.
If you would like any further information about our curriculum please contact Mrs Tracey Messenger, our curriculum lead, through the school office.
Please visit our Curriculum Pages to find out more about the teaching and learning at Birchfield.
Our curriculum will also provide:
- Regular Religious Education lessons throughout the year
- A weekly lesson of Spanish
- A weekly singing session as a Key Stage in the school hall
- A weekly Music lesson
- A weekly PSHE/RSHE lesson with a focus on mental health and well-being
- A weekly PE session (additional PE sessions throughout the year are also provided)
- Swimming lessons for Year 4 (Autumn Term), Year 5 (Spring Term) and Year 6 (Summer Term)
- Outdoor learning opportunities for all children provided throughout the year here at Birchfield and Hummer Woods
- A residential experience in Year 3 (Outdoor Adventure) and Year 5 (City Trip)
- Mini-enterprise experiences in Year 6
- Enrichment opportunities provided throughout the year include Art Weeks, Science Days, Curriculum Themed Learning days and many other curriculum enriched opportunities throughout the academic year.
- Learning a musical instrument for Year 4 (Brass instrument).
National Curriculum Programmes of StudyEnglish National Curriculum
Religious Education Syllabus (Somerset AMV 2019)
Currently being updated.
Our school reflects British values in all that we do. We aim to nurture our children on their journey through life so they can grow into safe, caring, democratic, responsible and tolerant adults who make a positive difference to British society and to the world. We encourage our children to be creative, unique, open-minded and independent individuals, respectful of themselves and of others in our school, our local community and the wider world. Wherever possible, we take a global approach to learning by introducing themes from the perspective of other people in other countries.
For additional information about how children at Birchfield are provided with these opportunities then please visit our British Values page.
In order to extend our children's education beyond their main course of study each year, we are proud to offer our children at Birchfield a wide range of experiences where they have opportunities to
- Experience outdoor learning
- Themed days where children and their parent/carers are invited into to school to share the learning experiences with a project based learning activity.
- Go on and enjoy external school visits, trips and residentials
For further information regarding our Curriculum Enrichment please visit our Curriculum Enrichment page.