Tilly is a young black labrador who has completed a three-year training programme to become a specialist school assistance dog with the group 'Canines Supporting Children'. To achieve this status, she has had to pass numerous assessments and be of impeccable temperament. Her training doesn’t stop there, she meets with the charity monthly and receives additional training termly.
Tilly is owned by Mrs Parker, Headteacher, and attends school most days. She often welcomes children onto the playground in the morning, and says goodbye at the end of the day.
Tilly is trained to support the children in a number different roles including:
· to teach children respect and care
· to teach children how to keep themselves safe around dogs
· to listen to children read
· to support children who may be anxious, upset or frightened
· to support children with mental health difficulties
· to be a reward when children have worked hard both academically and socially
Tilly wears an official jacket when working to indicate that she must be ignored so as not to distract her from her working role.
Tilly is definitely one of the most popular members of the team at Birchfield C.P. School. If you see her and Mrs Parker around don’t forget to ask if you can say hello.